Teams of Developers Bring Experience from EA, Playdom, Ludia, and More
Montreal, CA – January 23, 2013 – Today Execution Labs, the new Montreal-based gaming incubator and go-to market accelerator, announced that it has filled its first cohort of independent game teams just eight weeks after it began taking applications. Now five teams of experienced game developers will work to create and launch their own games and then spin out into startup game studios.
Alex Normand, Execution Labs co-founder and head of production, says that the Lab was able to fill spots so quickly because the applicant quality was so impressive. “We were blown away by the number of talented, highly experienced teams who applied to the program, and we couldn’t be happier with the teams we’ve selected. We evaluated the applications based on the team first and the game concept second, since success is mostly about the team’s ability to execute.”
All teams are focused on phone and tablet games for mid-core and hardcore audiences:
- Crankshaft Mobile, from Montreal, is developing a Rogue-like top-down brawler.
- Pixel Crucible, also out of Montreal, is building a hybrid adventure/management fantasy game.
- Lightning Rod Games, from Toronto, is planning a mid-core “evil genius” game that is a mix of Flight Control and Plants vs. Zombies.
- Miscellaneum, from Montreal, is working on The Firemasters, a blazing 3D side scrolling action game in which you play each member of a four-person firefighting team on Mars.
- Imaginary Games, relocating from Vancouver, is creating a Tim Burtonesque social card game about a mysterious graveyard carnival.
These teams get seed funding, shared office space, development tools, and access to a roster of world-class mentors who provide coaching in areas critical to game development and commercialization. After their games launch, they’ll be given marketing dollars and support in customer acquisition and live operations. For more information on the new development teams, please visit http://executionlabs.com/teams/ .
About Executions Labs
Execution Labs is a first-of-its kind, hybrid game incubator and go-to-market accelerator that helps independent game developers produce games and bring them to market. The company’s goal is to enable experienced developers to become true entrepreneurs and pursue their dreams of creative independence. It is based in Montreal with a business outpost in San Francisco and is backed by BDC Venture Capital, Real Ventures, and White Star Capital.